ALL 3 COUNTY LEVIES PASS
Voter Say Yes To Supporting Roads, The Fair And Pioneer Museum
By Samar Fay, Courier Editor
Published: Thursday, June 7th, 2012
Although the results of Valley County’s primary election were counted and complete at press time, statewide results were still incomplete. One local race was neck and neck. In House District 32, the two-term incumbent Tony Belcourt of Box Elder, was holding a tiny lead over his challenger, Clarena Brockie of Harlem, by a vote of 353-349.
It appeared that Frank Smith of Poplar failed in his attempt to take back his old Senate District 16 seat from Sen. Jonathan Windy Boy of Box Elder. Windy Boy was ahead 775 to 589 at press time. The eastern end of the district supported Smith 109 to 61.
In House District 31, three people vied for the seat vacated by Rep. Frank Smith. Bridget Smith of Wolf Point came out of top with 236 votes, followed by Walter White Tail Feather of Poplar with 204 votes and Bill Whitehead of Wolf Point 169.
All three levies passed in Valley County:
• The roads levy to fund the crushing and hauling of gravel won with 53 percent of the vote, 483-428.
• The levy to support operations and maintenance of the Northeast Montana Fair won with 56.5 percent, 1,031 yes to 793 no.
• The levy to support operations and maintenance of Valley County Pioneer Museum carried by even more with nearly 59 percent approval, winning 1,075 to 757.
Some local candidates were unopposed in the primary and will face opposition for the first time this cycle in the general election on Nov. 6.
In Senate District 18, Republican incumbent John Brenden is challenged by Democrat Julie French. In House District 35, two newcomers are matched, Republican Mike Lang of Malta and Democrat Floyd Hopstad of Glasgow.
Only two-thirds of the statewide results were in by press time. Most of the races showed a clear trend, but the Democratic race for attorney general looked as thought it could go either way. The county vote was final, giving Jesse Laslovich 50.5 percent. In the state, Pam Bucy was ahead by about a half point.
In the federal primary, GOP presidential hopeful Mitt Romney won with 66 percent of the vote in Valley County, but Ron Paul still claimed 17 percent and Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich trailed in the single digits. Statewide, voters chose Romney by about the same margin over Paul.
Montana voters were choosing Republican Denny Rehberg for Senate with 76 percent of the vote over Dennis Teske, and Valley County gave him 77 percent.
Incumbent U.S. Senator Jon Tester swept with all 642 votes in the county Democratic primary.
Unopposed President Barrack Obama, meanwhile, took 84 percent of the county Democratic vote and “no preference” brought in the other 16 percent.
County Democrats endorsed Kim Gillan for the U.S. House with 31 percent of the ballots and the state looked similar. On the GOP side, House candidate Steve Daines swept the state and the county with about 70 percent.
In the major state races, Valley County voters also followed general state trends.
Eighty-three percent of state Democrats liked Steve Bullock for governor, as did 87 percent in the county.
The Republicans had a bigger field with more scattered results. Rick Hill was winning statewide with 35 percent and in the county with 39 percent. For local voters, dark horse Jim O’Hare was next at 18 percent, followed by Corey Stapleton with 16 percent and Ken Miller with 12 percent. State voters’ runner-ups were Corey Stapleton and Ken Miller, leaving O’Hare behind.
County Republicans favored returning Brad Johnson to his old job of secretary with 50 percent of the vote, followed by Scott Aspenlieder with 29 percent. State results were similar.
Local and state Republicans chose Tim Fox over Jim Shockley for attorney general by similar margins, about 60 percent to 40 percent.
County and state voters agreed about the Supreme Court candidates. In a close race, they chose Ed Sheehy for Seat 4 over Laurie McKinnon and Elizabeth Best. For Seat 6, Brian Morris was a clear winner over Hertha Lund.
Jim Orr contributed to this report.
Click Here To See More Stories Like This